Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Leeuwenhoek and Microscope

It is little over 300 years of the invention of the Microscope.
360 years!

I would have never become a medical guy, if not for this instrument.

I once asked, a guy who is a supply agent to the university to get me down a digital microscope.
He did not help me.
I did not have dollars in my hand and the government want grant me any.
So for my luck, I had little money from the royalties on the sale of books.
I got one for my research work.
It is a Student Microscope from America and they gave some discount,too.

1. Makes invisible visible.

2. Egg and Sperm race.

3. Biological Material vs Physical Material

4. Started with silk worm illustrations.
The work of Malpighian.

5. Micrographia of Robert Hook in 1665.

6. Samuel Pepy

7. Antoni van Leeuwenhoek
Single lens microscope

8. Discovery of sperm.

9. Ham a medical student with penile discharge not with gonococci but sperms.

10. Published in 1679.

11. How reproduction works
Egg and semen
Aristotle said women are the fertile grounds.

12. Enigma
180 years of argument.
No eggs.

13. Chicken or Egg scenario.
Answer is they are complementary.

14. 1827
von Baeyer
Sees the egg

15. Cell Theory in 1830.

16. Study of maggots

17. Transmission Electronic Microscopy

18. Scanning Electron Microscopy

19. 3000 neurons in maggot head or brain

20. Elizabeth Bik

21. Look through rocks

22. Transmitted light.

23. Petrography

24. Rocks have minerals in ordered arrangement.

25. Crystal structure

26. 1828
William Nikel
Polarized Light.

27. 30 micron thickness of rock in 1851.

28. 1870
Bertram
Petrographic microscope.
Use polarized light to analyze.

29. Chromolithograph

30.


No comments:

Post a Comment