Monday, September 7, 2026

Sand and Cement to Rock Solid

Sand and Cememt are the basic ingradients of our Building Industry.

I have no idea of how these elements are manupulated in Ceylon.

When we built our house on a narrow strech of land these items were very cheap and Bank Loans were easy. 

I took only one loan before the age of 55 and I could not settle it as intended with my paltry University salary.

Besides, my salary in the University was paltry. 

Since, I loved teaching and I continued to serve the University but nevertheless I fought hard against Mahinda Rajapaksa to change our salary scheme. 

Chandrika did nothing even though I had not joined University during her tenure. 

I was in Private Sector doing odd jobs but my plan was to join the University at the first opportunity.

1. Cement was under Rs. 100/=.
Current Price Rs. 2500/=

2. Sand was between Rs. 300 to 500/=. Prices are high during rainy season.
Rs.30,000 to Rs. 50,000/=.

3. Metal or crushed granite 
Rs. 400/=.

Current depending on the size and quality 
Rs.15,000 to Rs.25,000/=.
Granite Sand (ගල් කුඩු ) Rs. 20,000/=.

During the period of construction of our house,  all the items went up in price specially the sand.

While this was going on I was having Fish Tanks nearing 20.

I was interested in seasand for my ornamental tanks.

I built my own cement fish tanks from my childhood so I was not alien to sand and cement.

I quickly did a mental calculation and realized using granite sand was a good option and cheap, even though lot of cement is consumed due to poor adhesive quality.

In the long run I saved money.

Of course, the Retaining Wall was my own physics design. I think and believe that, there is no other like it in the entire country.

By the time we finished granite price also went up steeply.

I have gone through the mill and my comments about sand mining in Mahaveli River are contextual.

There is another enlarged piece under floodplains.

The irony is now we are away from Ceylon and it is a wise decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment