Monday, July 6, 2026

Take a Leaf out of AI and boot with rEFIend

CachyOS OS could not be booted with GRUB with Multiple disyributions.
I dropped GRUB and sekected rEFIend instead. It is suppped to be intuitive graphical Boot Loder.
I do not agree with AI that said one can have multiple instances of EFI.
Only one at boot time.
I reconfigured EFI partition expecting CachyOS to find all bootable distributions listed under EFI.
I gave an EFI partition to CachyOS but it did not boot. One cannot have two EFI status for one hard drive or system.
It is firmware utility and not residents on a Linux partition. 
It is completely different fron /boot partion of Linux.

I used to have a /boot partition for every Linux Distribution where it stores the boot configuration file. It prevent conflicts between two different distributions.
SuSe and Redhat (I never used Ferdora and I hated it) have their own dedigns and SuSe demands at least 1.2GB for EFI.
When they started moving away, I ditched SuSe first and Redhat about a year later until I settled down with Peppermint OS.
Peppermint OS comes from England these lazy British guys do not maintain it. It is always 1 kernel behind. They copy I had in my NUC FROZE after its own volition updates.

BIG Linux also missed it and identified one EFI. I could have give second EFI to BIG Linux. In that Scenario I have to install all the other distributions including GNOME under CachyOS.
I am not stupid to do that.
I am not goong to sort out CachyOS problems. It should be done by their developers.
One can probably have another EFI on an External Drive. It is a different Ball Game one canot boot the other without both being attached to the PC.
I quickly gave up that strategy and used the external drive for DATA.
I left two of them in Ceylon and if not vandalized by ants (both black and white), certainly rats must be having a gala time.

I am testing whether rEFind is better selecting and booting from EFI partition than GRUB.
I doubt it.
I am proven right.
rEFind cannot overrule GURB.
All CachyOS did was to report there is No Boot Device.

BIG Linux is going to be my rescue.
Yes, BIG Linux was up to the task.
I have now two copies of BIG Linux on my Laptop.

By the way, like what happened to Brazil it is Game Over for me and my Linux caricature.

No comments:

Post a Comment