Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What does 'DSLR Linux' mean?


What does 'DSLR' Linux mean?

DSL remake or "Digital Single Lens reflex".
My choice is the latter, being a pathologist, having used outdated monocular microscope to digital microscope in my life time a Linux Distribution with a name tag Lens attached, if not outrageous, is a welcome change.
In the same sense I love the name Google Glass for a camera which is the other end of the Lens architecture and nomenclature.
Other reason is it is based on DSL, Damn Small Linux, under 50 MiB.
I love small is beautiful concept.
Then my favorite I Puppy Linux.
I entered into Linux in my twilight years unlike Linus and Knoppix.
I also believe that the teacher learns more from the student, rather than other way round, especially at the University Level, if not in the kindergarten.
DSLR is two steps forward from DSL and Puppy and the developer has done extremely clever integration into a single iso image all the utilities to start Linux from scratch.
Linux from scratch is in its 7.5 version is not a iso image but the full technical know how to build a Linux distribution from scratch.
That is the third step.
Mind you this is for developer guys but a normal user can start getting a hang of make up files and Linux.
Documentation is succinct and useful.
Other important issue is it is built on 64 bits.
I have not tried it since, I still use an old computer.
I will be migrating to 64 bit to save energy and electricity bill but that will be in my retirement endeavour.
It is not going to be small as DSL but it is small enough to be called light weight.
I think any guy or girl interested in Linux should give it try and write a thesis or blog piece of one's experience.
Hats off these clever guys who always think differently.
They a not reinventing the wheel.
They are really investing on the huge Linux base.
Thank you guys and girls of Digital Single Lens Reflex.

No comments:

Post a Comment