Friday, September 4, 2026

When an Examiner/Invigilator sit at the Back Bench and answer the MCQ Paper with the students - Outcome

Yes I was an Invigilator.
I was an Examiner, too.
Outcome was pretty good.
But political decision making, turned it upside down.
I did not want to join the university as an academic but when I joined it as a temporary hand to be near my home town, I tentatively and cautiously did something unpredictable.

The reason.
A particular school in Ceylon had more than average entry into the university. 
This puzzle me a bit.
Since, I was a temporary hand I free to do what I wanted to do.
Leave if not satisfied but ended joining a brand new Facility built by JICA at the age 55 which is the age of retirement in Ceylon.
My entry to university system as a temporary hand was when I was 25.
My real entry was 30 years later.

1. MCQ Examination and Cheating
One factual observation verified later was that a particular batch of students had an Organizational and Systematic cheating strategy.

2. Plan
I sit the examination with students.
If a single student gets more marks than me there is  something wrong in the system.
I do not believe in standardizing the final score.

3. Students see me as a teacher.

4. I set, few of my questions in the Paper.

5. The rest of the questions come from a pool unknown to me.

6. Examination setup.
I collect the paper.
I am main invigilator.
This is not the proper examination.
Preliminary Examination so students get the feel of it.
Say the examination is, 45 minutes.
First 15 minutes
Dishing out the Paper and answering any queries from students. Read the question paper and identify typing errors etc.
I sit the paler in 20 minutes.
No afterthought or correction to my answer paper..
Collect the answer papers.

7. Get the proper answers and give marks to all students and mine.

8. Report to my Professor that I scored less than few of the so called bright students. Hand over the answer papers for his perusal. I think he took my verbatum and said:
I'll do something about it.

9. Proper examination comes.

10. Changed from MCQ to SAQ.
Absolute shock to students.

11. None gets a distinction.

12. My observation verified to a certain degree. No protest from students, since what we did was within the Examination Code of Practice.
I read it carefully.

13. This batch did not do well in subsequent clinical examinations and none joined the staff.

14. This message without my knowledge fileted to the entire country and the entries from that particular school came down to national levels.

15. I joined the Faculty of Dental Sciences and I was made the Acting Dean of the Faculty.

16. I reverted back to my probably post and finished my intended thesis for promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment