Saturday, September 5, 2026

When an Examiner/Invigilator sit at the Back Bench and answer the MCQ Paper with the students - Outcome

Yes I was an Invigilator.
I was an Examiner, too.
Outcome was pretty good.
But political decision making, turned it upside down.

I did not want to join the university as an academic but when I joined it as a temporary hand to be near my home town, I tentatively and cautiously did something unpredictable.

The reason.
A particular school in Ceylon had more than average entry into the university, especially Medical Faculty.

This puzzled me a bit.

Since, I was a temporary hand, I was free to do what I wanted to do. 
I demand that freedom before signing the contract.
Leave if not satisfied on my own accord.

But I ended joining a brand new Facility built by JICA at the age 55 which is the normal age of retirement in Ceylon.

My entry to university system as a temporary hand was when I was 25.

My real entry was 30 years later.

1. MCQ Examination and Cheating
One factual observation and verified later was that a particular batch of students had an Organizational and Systematic cheating strategy.

2. Plan
I sit the examination with students.
If a single student gets more marks than me there is  something wrong in the system.

I did not believe in standardizing the final score.

3. Students see me as a teacher.

4. I set, a few of my own questions in the Paper.

5. The rest of the questionsbl did come from a pool unknown to me.

6. Examination setup.
I collect the paper from the Dean's Office.
I am not the main invigilator.
This is not the proper examination.
Preliminary Examination so students get the feel of the proper examination.

Let me say that the examination lastee 45 minutes.

First 15 minutes
Dishing out the Paper and answering any queries from students. 
I read the question paper and identify typing errors, etc.

I sit the Paper and finish it in 20 minutes.
No afterthought or correction to my answer paper..

Then, collect all the answer papers.

7. Get the proper answers and give marks to all students and mine.

8. Report to my Professor that I scored less than, few of the so called bright students. 
Hand over the answer papers for his perusal. I think he took my verbatum seriously and said:

I'll do something about it.

9. Proper examination comes.

10. Changed from MCQ to SAQ.
Absolute shock to students.

11. None gets a distinction.

12. My observation verified to a certain degree. 
No protest from students, since what we did was within the Examination Code of Practice.

I read it carefully.

13. This batch did not do well in subsequent clinical examinations and none joined the staff.

14. This message without my knowledge of course was fileted to the entire country and the entries from that particular school came down to the national level.

15. I joined the Faculty of Dental Sciences and I was made the Acting Dean of the Faculty. This part of the story is confidential.

16. I reverted back to my probationary post and finished my intended thesis in double quick time. This story is not relevant here.

17. My gut feeling was not known to me,
I was earmarked by the Dental Faculty for the JICA project.

From laying down the Foundation Stone to the opening it by President Chandrika Kumarantunge, I was part of it. The contributions to the Project came from. Doing Bloody Well D. B. Wijetunga. Nothing from Chandrika as usual only promise not enacted at all.

There is an anecdotal incident.
I was in charge of her security especially food. 

I knew Chandrika by accident. 

Mr. Dharmasena was interested in building a CO-OP Medical Clinic, CO-OP Bank and CO-OP Retail Outlet.

I was working at Navaloka Old Hospital and my work was involved in Navaloka Hospital getting the National Quality Award.
They got it in 1998. 
I did not go for the award ceremony but I did 3 months part-time training in Quality Control in Ceylon.

This Mr. Dharmasena guy had got a whiff of me and had proposed my name for his project. He came to me at Navaloka and proposed it.
I refused saying that I am joining the university and I am going to be busy but on second thoughts accepted it.
I would visit only on Saturdays and may have to stay overnight on some occasions supervising the output. 

Say:
Laboratory Setup.
Xray Setup.
Clinical Setup  Flow >  > Chain etc

I did not see her at all.

She came 6 hours late with School Children waiting more than 6 hours.

I had looked after sick kids but this was the first and last time with kids on a political "Jayamangala Gatha Recital".

By the way, the Curse Anura all and the Clan carry on is linked to not reciting "Jayamangala Gatha" in the inauguration.

I had special Treats for kid on arrival.
Lunch and Evening Tea with Mr. Dharmasena doing the honours.

I did not have even a sip of water.
I was not tensed but knowing very well that she does not come on time.
I had to take a bus home from Nittambuwa and that bus is usually "Jam Packed". 

Now to Nihal Karunaratne Chsndrika's police security detail.
I knew him personally since he took over all the keys and locks of the Nittambuwa Unit from me on the day of the opening.

There was a mad rush that followed her entry to where food was laid out.
Knowing her I stayed out.
She was looking for me.

Her first look of me and I wasn't there.

Where is the doctor?

Then, Mr. Dharmasena came out and I was taken in, in somewhat ceremoniously with a cheeky smile to adorn the crowd.

Hello Madame Nice to see you.
Let us have some Kiribath with the kids.  

I was lying and kids had everything.

Then the helicopter landed and she left.

I jumped the bus to Kandy.

Regarding this Nihal Karunaratne guy, when I tried to usher her to the Grand Cake Professor Mendis had laid for her, this guy pushed me away rudely.

I knew she would not join for tea and she desperately needed some "Good Spirits".

I went down by Short Cut and I was on Ground Floor to usher her out formerly with Professor B.R.N. Mendis in attendance.

My Resolve
Treat these rude police guys a lesson.

I did not give even a bottle of cool water to the police guys in waiting.

All the political guys including W. J. M. Lokubandara enjoyed the cake. There was nothing left in half an your.
Everything was wsiting for 6 hours and more.

Leftovers were dished out to the Police.

Had Nihal Karunaratne did not push me in full "British Outfit" the outcome would have been different.

I had plenty of Cardiprin in my Court Pockets along with Peppermint Roles.


The piece of cake I had was delicious.

Thank You, Professor B. N. R. Mendis.
He knows how to throw a party.
His party after becoming the U. G. C. Chairman was the second best after formal party at his home overlooking Kandy Lake. 

I had only one Beer my maximum in. A formal party.

I was V. S. O. A guy by default but lately only Wine and Champaign.

Then the Bubbling Stuff of Alcohol was a late addition.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment