Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Evolution of Gnome

Evolution of Gnome

Debian Live 9.12.0-amd64-gnome.iso

This gave a Graphical Installer to install Debian, which I found was easy.

Partition table looked like this which I had no ides.

/root

/var

swap

/tmp

/home

I became aware of /var for variable data and I did not know how to use it.

Icon setup was primitive. 

Only Ethernet and not compatible with wireless but whereas Ubuntu could (Emmabantus,too) configure wireless.

So installing new software was impossible and had to be stuck with what came with it.

It had LibreOffice.

Debian installer was clumsy and installing AbiWord was not possible and stuck with Emmabantus which had AbiWord

 These days I had fun with Apache Open Office.

 

Debian Live 10.12.0-amd64-gnome.iso

Similar to above comment but icon display was much better.

 

Debian Live 11.6.0-amd64-gnome.iso

 Similar to above comment but icon display was much better but no ESP Grub

 

Debian Live 12 5 0 amd64 Gnome ISO

 This is the most elegant and has the new Calamara Installer.

Its ESP compatible and GRUB Loader is pretty good.

No problem with wireless connectivity.

This is my favourite and I use it on daily basis, it comes with Synaptic Package Manager (in fact Debian Package manger which is extensive) which I prefer to SNAP.

Ubuntu has gone SNAP but Synaptic Package Manager is still available for Ubuntu.

 

I am going to download all three of these isos from torrent files and see how I got addicted to Gnome.

I actually had the stable version installed in my very old PC and Live CD/DVD were collected for testing.

Yes, Debian 10 is the one who had a panel on the left side and dots on the right side when one sees whole lot of application items.

Ubuntu of cores successfully implemented live session with only a minimal of applications.

Al these images were less than 3GB and now they are nearing 5GB.

That is my conclusions, even Gnome getting bloated with each new version.

All these images had only one peer each.

Thank you to them.

BOX utility has made my life easier.

By the way, I have limited number of USBs and I have Ubuntu from 2020 version to 2024, for USB used up.

I did not do this with Debian since I had been using Debian fr over 10 years.

Nevertheless, I am catching up with Ubuntu.

Those days I had no interest in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Install was minimal and I got addicted it later since it had the best GRUB file.

Of course I had Ubuntu CD/DVDS from its version 6 in my CD/DVD collection.

Gnome BOX utility is fantastic and I am going to run these isos in BOX Utility and see how Gnome evolved.

Linux is steady and incremental, stable and not flashy like Apple and Windows.

The is for those YouTube Linux pundits, some of whom are hell bent on saying bad things about Linux having not tested Gnome.

All of them only test Linux Mint and do not talk about LMDE (Linux Mind Debian Edition).

I think Ubuntu which is a derivative of Debian became popular by adopting Gnome 10 desktop.

Less I talk about Arch and Manjaro is better for my sanity.

I have been trying Debian from version 6.0 but full adoption was probably from version 9 in 2015 when,  I retired fro the University.

5.0           Lenny         14 February 2009

6.0           Squeeze       6 February 2011

7              Wheezy        4 May 2013

8              Jessie           25 26 April 2015 

 
9              Stretch        17 June 2017

10            Buster          6 July 2019 

 
11           Bullseye      14 August 2021

12           Bookworm  10 June 2023  

No comments:

Post a Comment