Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Linux-100-Extras-Knoppix-01

I have been lying low as far as Linux is concerned mainly not because of my lack of interest but due to lack of support from the Sri-Lankan Telecoms.

Its download speed is well below its stated or paid for service contract.

It is often below 10 and consistently down to 5 KB per second even at night do not ever think of downloading a DVD.

At 10 KB per second it amounts to I MiB per minute and that works up to 50 to 60 for an hour which is pretty slow and it is like that for the last 3 or 4 months.

I have been trying to download over 250 distributions (mostly updates) which are paused state over a month and consistently Firefox breaks down halfway through the process.

I have tried to downlod Taylor Swift (609 MiB) an AntiX-Mephis derivative for old computers and it broke down over 10 times but I am persisting till I get it down and test it which has almost become an obsession.
It broke down again few minutes ago.

In 10 minutes less of 24 hours finally, I manged to s download Knoppix DVD and it is fantastic.

Thanks to the guys who were seeding the image. There were over 250 seeders and out of which 50 were active when I downloaded it. There were over 50 leeches inactive which was fine for me and I was the only leecher in this part of the world at night.

So finally it was burned and tested one month after the CD version was downloaded and tested on the 1st of January (was a holiday).

Finally it gives the option of installing it to the hard drive and USB version is going to be my handy friend.

Thanks guys and girls at Knoppix and a Happy 10th Anniversary and Happy New Year 2011 for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment