Thursday, September 10, 2026

Ceylon Stil in Development Mode

Ceylon
Introduction 
I have two books on Ceylon.
One on Geography and Other on Waterfalls. I took lot of time on Mahaveli River. Inadvertently, missed lot about Kalu Ganga and Kuru Ganga.
It was the basin where Butadomba Lena in Kuruwita and Belilena in Kithulgala. I missed them since my interest was on Geography and scenic beauty. I had the Survey General's map. I dished it out to one of my classmates who enjoys walking to wilderness alone. He had the talent of a marathon runner. He used beat me in 400 yards and not in 100 yards which was my arena. My father did not let me take part in sports. Only at the age of 35 after his death my mother said that I had epilepsy. 
I told her it is not epilepsy but simply febrile convulsions. I did not listen to both.
It was the Burger Lady who used to make me flannel running shorts. Only after I brought home Under 14 championship cup and I became the Sargent of cadettimg team that those restrictions were lifted. My friend was 1 year senior and we did not compete. He let me use his pair of spikes which my father did not buy me one.
Sorry for the diversion.

I was only interested in geography and not archaeology. This piece is to rectify that anomaly. Special interest is maintained on caves and their civizations while keeping the geological anchorage.
By the way, 100 odd rivers of Ceylon was my fascination

Hills
Piduruthalagala also known as the Mount Pedro is at 2524ft elevation while Peradeniya is at 1565ft and Kandy 1664ft (500 meters). The drop is nearly 1000ft ideal for rivers and river-lets during monsoons.


Rivers
There were over 100
Each year one or two is lost.
This has nothing to do with El Nono.
This has direct relationship to population expansion


Human setllments 
Butadomba 
Belilena 


Shells moving up the hills

Communication
Language is essential 

Human nature
War or internecine conflicts to hold land

Natural catastrophe 

Archaeological remnants if any 

Conclusion 

No comments:

Post a Comment