Sunday, July 1, 2012

Fedora 17 and Sinhala Capability

Fedora 17 and Sinhala Capability
I have some good news for you.
Fedora 17 DVD is out and with torrent it is easy download with many seeders.
It is 3.6 GiB and not a Live DVD
This is not a review since I did not install to see its features.
In graphical installation I went in as far as I could to see in Sinhala and the translators have done a good job
I must remind you Fedora was the Fedora was the first distribution to allow Sinhala font way back almost a decade ago before Sinhala Unicode was available.
Hantahna Linux (14.5 derivative) is currently supporting Sinhala but unfortunately what I downloaded did not have Sinhala Unicode.
Debian is also supporting Sinhala its 6.0.4 is currently out which I have downloaded but did not have time to test.
Debian is going for the version 7 (seven version) and it is better for one to download the latest stable version and use.
The bottom line is if there are not enough users the developers may drop the language capability if not the Unicode since that add to the size of the DVD or CD.
So start using these distribution and give feedback to the developer community.
As far as I have tested Ubuntu has Sinhala capability but not to the extent of Debian and Fedora.

No comments:

Post a Comment