Friday, June 18, 2021

Ubuntu as a Last Resort, Did not Work

I have never used Ubuntu as a distribution and used occasionally as a demonstration but my love was Mandriva, SuSe and Debian.

I could not install both Peppermint 10 and PCLinux side by side with Debian and finally decided to install Ubuntu 20.10 and as a preparation installed it on my PC on the second drive to boot from the second drive leaving my workhorse Debian in the SSD.

SSD does not have a MBR or master boot record.

I could have written the GRUB to boot from a USB with so many USB around I would forget.

Installation went all right it picked up all the distribution already installer including PinGuy.

I am pretty sure it will not pick the ESP boot partition.

As anticipated it crash landed and could not figure out the ESP boot partition.

I booted FATPup installed in the Laptop  and found a home partition in my name in one of the partitioned used and over 5GB written in the other, assuming it's Ubuntu distribution files.

What I am now going to do is to reinstall the second Debian installation having prepared space by deleting few partitions not used

I know Debian will figure out if Ubuntu could be written to the GRUB file.

I have gone through this routines 1000 times and while it is being booted I will sip a cup of tea.

In good old days in BIOS fstab boot record I would write the booting sequence and mount the partition in question.

I have forgotten those details and ESP partition can possibly be edited likewise.

But I let Debian automation to do the job.

Yes Debian did the job and Ubuntu was booted from ESP partition.

Now I can display Ubuntu to a guy new to Linux who has no knowledge of Debian.

I think going after various new distributions is a waste of time and Debian 11 is already out for one to try.

I am dry of Data and Internet access currently.

I will try it when the lockdown is eased.


No comments:

Post a Comment