Thursday, May 20, 2021

UEFI is a pain compared to Legacy BIOS

UEFI boot loader is a pain.

Luckily my PC has the option to remain in BIOS mode.

BIOS supports duel booting with Linux.

I had no problem after erasing Windows from the system with BIOS.
I used to have at least 8 Linux distributions in with the 15 partition limit, it has.

By using swap partition one can make faster page transfer.
Usually swap partition should be twice the RAM one  has.

BIOS has 2 terrabyte limit for the disk.
If you have two disks you can have 30 partitions and it is more than ample for a simple guy.

I use NTFS partitions for Data storage which Linux can read.

(FAT partition is bit dicey).

One terrabyte is ample for a Linux guy who uses resources effectively.

Now come to my 5 year old Laptop it supports UEFI for Windows only.

It effectively blocks duel booting with Linux.

I have used BSD to erase the Windows boot menu but it secretly keep the Windows script in the hardware, I believe.

Certainly, not in the hard disk which I have  erased  and it says there is no bootable media.
I cannot go to BIOS and it is password protected and the vendor who sold it in Singapore did not give me the password.

Had I known.this scenario, I would have asked.

In any case it was for my son and he soon lost interest after two.years.

Then I used my normal techniques and erased everything and I could not boot Linux.
Then by accident I discovered BSD CD and it erased using Internet connection and installed ESP partition and BSD.

At that time BSD had only limited software and I finally got the Debian 9 booted with the help of the ESP created by BSD.

It also had PCLinux.

Then I lost interest mainly due to the demise of our dog (its pictures in the laptop contributing to shutting it off)  and I used my PC exclusively for my routine work.

Now Coronavirus made me to revisit the Laptop and I updated it with Debian 10 and booted OK.

I erased PCLinux in the processes and one day I installed Ubuntu 20-10 and it destroyed the ESP booting and reverted me to Windows booting with password protection.

I could not boot Debian 10.

Then deliberately, I pulled the defective Ethernet wire that connected to my PC and burned it and I lost all Internet connections to boot BSD.

I thought of booting with WiFi but I did not have data having exhausted all with two failed downloads of Knoppix 9.

Now nothing else to do I booted the  Endless OS and it erased everything and installed its Ostree but it won't let Linux duel booting.

Even Knoppix 8.2 won't touch the Windows UEFI boot record or and GRUB utility failed.

Endless OS can be booted on an external disk and it has limited software from the DVD.

Without Internet I cannot install new applications.

Finally I used  MultiSysyem Linux on a FAT partition and booted the Laptop with a 16 GB USB and a 600 GB SATA disk.

Peppermint is on.
Pinguy OS is on.
Multisystem is on.
Gpart is on.
Knoppix is on.
Emmabantus is on.
All Puppy Linux except FATPup.

I am.back to full orientation even without the Internet.

I think, Coronavirus incarceration was a blessing in.disguise.


No comments:

Post a Comment