Friday, December 6, 2019

Linux for Newbies

Linux for Newbies

This a comment I made in Quora!

Mint was good when it hijacked proprietary codec when Linux was new to the commercial market.
Now Linux can standalone without proprietary STUFF (it has better stuff NOW) with over 300 active (some dedicated for Linux Developers) distributions.
In my blog site I have had a run down on most of them BUT I rarely write about them except USING Debian (Big Brother with lot little brothers) exclusively.
Regards to Mint (I never used it-re codec violations, mentioned above), it has a beautiful and an impressive desktop but it is nowhere near Debian’s STABILITY.
Even Ubuntu (Debian derivative) Unity desktop is falling behind.
My advice is to learn (lot of help and FULL documentation) using Debian, even though the learning curve is steep.
Lot of other distributions are short of documentation (last Linux Bible was out in 2010) and learning help.
The general community (not the dedicated) in general is aggressive to newbies but take them on the bump.
There is a Linux Magazine coming from Germany that does a wonderful service for Linux community.

No comments:

Post a Comment