Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vector Linux 7.0, comes of age

Speed, performance, stability;
these are attributes that set apart in the crowded field of VectorLinuxLinux distributions.The creators of had a single credo: keep it simple, keep it small and let the end user decide what their operating system is going to be. What has evolved from this concept is perhaps the best little VectorLinuxLinux operating system available anywhere. For the casual computer user you have a lightning fast desktop with graphical programs to handle your daily activities from web surfing, sending and receiving email, chatting on ICQ or IRC to running an ftp server. 
The above is what is posted at its home site.
I won't try to dispute any of the visions that come from Slackware but I had enormous problem with Slackware and Gentoo because of their rigid adherence to a protocol sometime too rigid itself and loses grand image of Linux.
It has overcome many of difficulties and seems to be coming of age.
I had been trying it from 2009 and could never get it to work for me favorably and never installed it any of my assortment of computers.
One of them is I need a good working Live CD to test it first.
Now it has produced one an it is taking almost two days to download from point to point downloading attempt.
Its torrent file at linuxtracker had sufficient seeders but nowhere compared to Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint.
I hope they post one image at Linux tracker.
I will be soon with you with an update when download is finished.
After several days of trying I managed to download the Live CD (point to point) and now I can report to you it is pretty good and fast booting.
It lacks Cloud Utility, ORCAs and it could not say in which drive (I have CD and DVD drives) Cd was booted.
Docky is good and it booted even in my old IBM.
Mind you I have 1 GiB RAM.
That is the minimum I recommend for Live CD/DVDs.
As I said it has come of age.
Try and enjoy Linux FREEDOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment