Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Selection of Linux utilities that Should make a Standard Distribution-Archives

My Selection of Linux Utilities that Should make a Standard Distribution-Archives-08

Archiving is essential if one is downloading images like me.
I use CD/ DVD and and external hard drives for that purpose.
If one is archiving music and video then the requirements are different.
Real archiving is into different electronic media like good old dates mechanical tapes.
Amanda was Linux utility that are used storing huge amount of data including server output.
I am not referring to that.
RAIDs and other methods are for industrial needs and mission critical 24/7 services but what I am referring here is for an ordinary desktop user who has files that can be managed easily.
If the hard disk size is a problem one does not have lot of partitions ARK is a compression utility one can use I am not personally in favour compression and encryption (if you forget the password, you are in for trouble) and if one wants to open a file in Windows setup you are in for a big headache.
The list can be very simple.
1. K3b is my favorite
2. Light Scribe if you have a similar DVD ROM
3. LaCe
4. AcetoneISO for images
5. K9copy
6. QPxTool is comprehensive and covers all types of data (I have not used it, since my requirement are simple enough to cover with K3B and a external hard drive)

No comments:

Post a Comment