Monday, May 24, 2021

Debian is on again in my Laptop

I inadvertantly erased my Debian.

I had problem installing it without Internet connection.

It is all due to this UEFI boot loader of Microsoft incarnation, in fact, trying an incarnation in reverse gear, on my laptop which I erased 5 years ago.

It (boot loader) does not let me install Linux without Windows.

The records in the UEFI haunted me.

Thanks to BSD but specifically TRUE OS.

I had a installable DVD in my archive made in 2017, December.

Other DVDs I have shy of erasing the UEFI boot record.

Finally Endless OS erased it but won't let me  Linux dual booting.

Here is how to do it.

Boot TrueOS and install it.

Boot Gpart and delete the tank root partition.

Leave the ESP made by TrueOS untouched.

Boot Debian 10 latest CD1 (you do not need other Debian.CDs).

Install Debian in the free space by deleting tank partition.

Again do not touch ESP made by TrueOS.

Install Debian and let it do its partitioning.

It takes the remaining space for a huge home partition.

I delete it and resize it and make also a boot partition for safety.

BIOS partition does not function in this scenario.

Debian install its base system and once it is over let you select from the taskel the desktop types.

I select all except web server.

Hit install and it takes a bit of a time and I either sleep or browse my emails.

But remain nearby.

It stops and asks a few options for you to confirm including root password, user passwords and a few more questions.

Say NO to them since you are not connected to the Internet.

It wastes your time and your first DVD has everything you need.

It installs and eject the DVD.

Thanks again to TRUE OS developers.

Do not try Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution they hide behind UEFI even though they claim UEFI compatibilty.

This is true to Peppermint.and Mandriva.
I tried all of them.and only Debian succeeded.

Thanks to Debian and Debian developers please take a leaf out of BSD overtures (by default) and do feel shy to erase EFI.

The U or Unified is not TRUE, it defies Unification logic.


No comments:

Post a Comment