Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Thank you TrueOs


Thank you TrueOs

I have been fiddling with my son’s laptop (he does not us it) and i erased its Windows operating system.

It did not allow dual booting with Linux.

It has a UEFI script that prevented booting Linux.

Additionally F2 was blocked with a password.

I bought this laptop in Singapore for a very good offer and did not anticipate or checked its problems (I was in a hurry).

I thought erasing Windows it would allow me to install Knoppix.

Knoppix took over the hard disk but it could not boot up with GRUB boot record.

Windows script kept coming on saying no boot media.

Tried Debian it could not, even after creating an ESP partition new.

Finally I allowed TrueOs to destroy everything and install TrueOs.

Then I looked up the partition table to see it had unallocated (Big Thank YOU) the Windows UEFI partition and another 60 odd GiB I made as an alternative UEFI/FAT to boot Debian.

Mind you I tried Ubuntu but it could not bypass the script.

I tried to resize the tank partition (Open Solaris terminology) using Gparted for me to install Debian but it did not allow resizing.

Finally I deleted the HUGE tank partition and installed Debian in one third of the capacity. 
Now it boots up Debian with TrueOs Theme Logo.
If it had allowed me to resize the home/tank partition I would have both TrueOs and Debian in the laptop.

Thank TrueOs for been ruthless to Windows UEFI.

My attitude of never Give Up has come good at last.
If I could have located the Windows Boot Script partition, I would have done it myself.
Windows and OEM guys own your equipment and YOU rent it for an enormous price.
Worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment