Sunday, February 6, 2011

Linux-100-Extras-Fedora-14-04

Another new version (14 a brand new conceptually) has come out after I felt out of with Fedora 3 (Redhat 8 and 9 were my favorites) and I have been looking at it from version 9 (also because of ADIOS which got stuck at Fedora 8).
It has shed some of its old routine stuff but has failed catch the trends in other emerging Linux distribution.
I have installed Fusion which has Dropbox and it has all the virtues of Fusion

It is under 700 MiB and fits into 4 different (Live and installable) Standard CD.

It is pleasing and packed with minimum of utilities.

Have taken the trouble to release 32 bits, 64 KDE and Gnome in 4 CDs.

KDE has K-Office and Gnome has none.

Very soon Gnome has to embrace LibreOffice of document foundation which is doing a good hob.

I wish success with this new version even though I hesitate to introduce it to a newbie.

A savvy could pick and choose its packages from the repository but I have not visited it myself.

If you had been a Redhat fan (like me in the past) go for it.

I won't leave PCLinux (it is my Gold Standard) now that the PCLinuxfullMonty is out (Gorilla version) which has everything (cater for 64 bits too) I need and more packages to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment