Friday, May 24, 2024

Linux Partitioning not Comprehensive

 Note;  

One should not forget SWAP Partition and I have one Swap Partition after every distribution, three in number.

I delete (I have two more in reserve) the Swap partition stationed as the last partition in the Partition Table, and install, the latest distribution there, that I am testing to see how much hardware (GB) it needs as it is often claimed by the developers.

I hate Virtual Installations, even though, I have the BOX utility to test the small distributions.

Blend OS is one one should NOT TRY, it is resource hungry and I cannot write it on a 64GB USB.

There is a small caveat here.

If one is using a spinning hard disk the order matters and the scanning needle has to spin a lot, if the order /boot (EFI), /Root,/Usr/Home etc are not sequential.

In an SSD it does not matter unless one uses (I have three distributions in a SSD of 320GB with 40GB reserved for NTFS for storing Iso Images which I  test and delete) many Linux distributions, in one disk.

In that scenario for effective booting EFI has to be the first.

As an old habit I use /boot partition first before /root but I do not think at booting, it recurses to boot partition at all.

One can see this order by running system utility, I believe.

In the good old days, it had to be only 4 Primary partitions or 3 Primary and one Logical. 

Those day I was dual booting with Windows and for over 20 years NO WINDOWS in my systems.

I am referring to EXT4 partitions and EXT3 were used in the past. 

EXT4 has a good Journelling Methodology and there is no limit to the number of partitions.

One should use Gparted for partitioning

I used Debian method now because I am confident with my partitioning.

1. Leave half of the disk empty.

2. Let the next distribution takes over the empty part of the hard disk.

3. See how it partitions, the disk.

4. Note the amount of GB needed for /root.

5. Most of the left over is dedicated to the home partition.

6. Resize the home partition to free the disk space.

7. Follow the same routine for the 3rd distribution.

I have been doing this for two decades for testing new editions of distributions, to write a piece in my blog site.

All of the blog pieces are still here.

Half of the disk is left for Ubuntu, since it has the best EFI configuring ability.

Even, Debian especially Debian based Emmabantus 5 version cannot configure the EFI properly.

I have stopped using Emmabantus.

I use minimal Ubuntu installation and pad up the necessary (just because of the limitation of my small SSD) utilities later.

I have discussed this in detail elsewhere.

I am Gnome addict and that can become bulky due to Cinnamon and Mate desktops.

Btrs (butter partitioning) type of partitions of Redhat and Fedora are in a mess and tend to become pretty slow.

Debian and Ubuntu does a good check of the hard disk at booting, using recursive partition as in Fedora is redundant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment