Thursday, May 23, 2024

AbiWord, Open Office and Libre Office

 AbiWord, Open Office and LibreOffice

 

AbiWord

I have done all my books on AbiWord and it has all the formats including latex format to save a files.

Coming from a  command line utility, it is no wonder.

 

Bluefish was my command line utility, from which I started my Linux World.

I never did command line work on AbiWord.

 

Latex I think is proprietary and predates Linux by decades!


Open Office

Open office was the predecessor for LibreOffice.

It had more formats including .sxw format which I used instead of .dot files of Microsoft.

 

LibreOffice 

LibreOffice is bulky and it has more of Microsoft formats and .odt is its format base.

That is why I never use it.

I published ONLY one book using LibreOffice.

That is of course, original text was on .abw format and just before publishing I converted ti to .dot or .odt (I cannot remember).

It took more than a week (to correct book format errors made in converting to doc file) for me to get the page format in order (which was in pristine form in .abw file).

I will never use LibreOffice in spite of its glossy appearance. 

Rather, better use Microsoft Office with bulky Macros.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment