Monday, September 23, 2019

Who Developed Sinhala Unicode?


Who Developed Sinhala Unicode?

I really do not know who really developed the Sinhala Unicode for Linux.

I know Anuradha was involved in it before he was pulled out by Chansrika after the tsunami since she did (MR, too) not have an email to communicate with foreign agencies.

I believe she did not know what is an email address.

Malwatta and Asgiriya temples did not have web pages.

My belief is it was Metta Vihari from Narada center who started it.
He also made web connection available for both of the above temples.

He was a foreign (? European not British) monk.

I knew this Thera because from him I got a copy of the Fedora 3 Linux CDs, four in number.
Fedora started the base work for Sinhala and Debian with Anuraha’s help started install instructions in Sinhala.

I too wanted Sinhala font at that time and what purpose I cannot remember.

Typing was painful and could not get a Sinhala B in my initials.
I gave up.
Then there was a guy from my time from Science Faculty, Peradeniya who started a company to sell computers in Colombo well before Windows (DOS age) and I told him I won’t buy a computer from him, unless he gives me Sinhala font.

He started developing Sinhala font and his company went bust and I never saw him again.

I saw to my eyes Metta Vihari (if my memory for the name is correct) sit in his chair with an old computer and getting Pali letters into shape.
He left the country some time ago and he never came back.
I never typed a Single Sinhala letter and even requested Amazon to get involved (they never did).
Of course Google jump started it without typing.
A novelty idea from Google.
You type a Sinhala word, in English key board and select the appropriate word or phrase.
A guy who bought a camera and a English type writer (I still have it in working order) from the first salary in UK would not fiddle with this type of gimmicks but would prefer to type, by the Ko Ko Method.
Above Google method was a lousy creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment