Monday, March 11, 2019

Lucky ones and the Unlucky Ones

Lucky ones and the Unlucky Ones


Vctor Ivon has written on cancer and doctors in his writing for Ravaya, this Sunday.


I wanted to write few things about the doctor he mentioned.


Let us name him Un-Lucky, since he is deceased now.


He was born lucky and died unlucky.

He died while trying to save a life in the sea (beach).

He did save the young one but perished probably due to exhaustion.

 
Saving a life at sea is not an easy job.


He was single minded in saving a life but did not care for his own life.


He was a hero but unlucky nonetheless.


His wife a beautiful lady doctor died young probably due (I am not sure) to brain tumour.

He was unlucky then.


But all his patients were lucky, since he cared for them instinctively, with a kind word and a healing touch of his surgical blade.


I was lucky to have known him as a student.

He was one of our demonstrators, studying for his Primary.


I cannot remember a word he taught us but I can remember him as cricketer, ruggerite and an athlete.


His sister was our first female medalist in Asian Games, in hundred meters, long before Susanthika.


I was a sportsman, I could not match him in sports but I was better in hockey.


I believe he never played hockey and that is why I say I was better.

 
I remember, Lucky and Nirmala as outstanding Sri-Lankan sportsman and a sportswoman.


It does not feel alright for me to to remember the unlucky incidents nevertheless.


Both were role model for me.


There is another doctor (little known) coming from my village, who is just like Lucky.


Very good, unassuming and very nice to everybody.

I heard him passed away by some gossip.

I was very upset.

I worked with his wife here and made sure she got my job in UK when I moved for a better post in UK.

I resisted calling and asking her.

Not seen her for ages.

Just few weeks ago, I saw the said doctor (now very old - he did not recognize me) live and kicking.


This is Sri-Lanka, and when somebody is in sick bed, the message goes as s/he is dead.


I deliberately avoided eye contact with him thinking that I might come out with the said death message above.

He was good cricketer, ruggerite and unlike Lucky a good hockey player.

I played with him in the same team in the university.

I could not believe such a good sportsman would die even at 70.

He probably has had a minor stroke, that is probably the reason he could not recognize me.

He is the lucky one.

No comments:

Post a Comment