Wednesday, May 28, 2014

ImageWriter from SuSe-KDE based

ImageWriter from SuSe
SuSe has a good image writer.
This is the first KDE based USB creator that worked without a problem for me.
In fact I created a Peppermint in a MicroSD loaded to a USB adapter.

Postscript;
1.Make sure USB is formatted with FAT 32 using Gparted.
Most of the memory cards have proprietary files for booting, at boot level and they should be erased.

2. This is a very dangerous Utility, my advice is for you not to use it.

Reasons 
1. It renames the USB or MicroUSB and one cannot erase it, unless one uses the command line.

2. It cannot erase the proprietary MicroSDs (e.g; for example Sony).

3. Due to the above fact it won't boot.

4. It does not tell you what file systems it uses and Gparted cannot read them.

5. Its ?Grub or boot menu is pretty bad.

Once used, even MultiSystem utility cannot change its name.
In other words this utility corrupts the file systems and partitions, one might not use them again.

I lost only two MicroSDs (only 1 GiB capacity but expensive (one Sony and one non-proprietary).

I will use command line and recover them but it is bit of a hassle for any ordinary Linux user.

In hindsight, this is the utility I will use when I want to discard any USB utility in final cremation procedure, so nobody would recover my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment