Tuesday, April 12, 2011

7 Days, 7 hours and 7 minutes of downloading Debian Multi Arch (32 - 64 bits)

My dog is sitting besides me and the thunder storm might hit us or my computer in minutes and if I do not pen this down now, I may have to wait for long hours in the night.

Yes it took 7 days, 7 hours and 7 minutes of downloading for me to try the Debian Multi Arch (32 and 64 bits).

The last 2 MiB took 7 minutes and it was like long one hour for me with the impending thunder storm.

I pay for 3 MiB for a minute and I have to sit for 10 minutes to to get that service, which is a violation of the service contract. I cannot do anything about it and if I complain I might even get a far worse service. Here they can boast that so many have got internet connections but with service contract violation.
Can you imagine how many man hours I may have wasted over the last two years to download 150 t0 200 CD/DVDs.
But it was worth the trouble even with very poor service if one sets a target to achieve (testing 100 Linux distributions was my target) and persevere with it can be achieved. What I did was not stop at 100 but to continue with it, this time with torrent and what did I get.

Now I discover there is utility called FileZilla that can be used in a situation where there is often breakdown in service, it restart from where the breakdown had occurred. I have not tried it but love to try it when I have time.

I found something that I was waiting for a long time.

Discovering Sinhala capability of Linux was a welcome bonus that I was not looking for.

It is true I have not spent that amount of man hours for my thesis but thesis trained me in discipline and perseverance, which come good when doing a thing Like delving into to Linux.
Instead of flame wars, I look at what is there with some perceived objective and if I decide to make a live CD for myself, I now know what to look for and where to look for.

Yes I have tried it for few minutes and now I have one DVD with both 32 and 64 capabilities to try
Sinhala Linux. This is the DVD I will carry with me for demonstrating Sinhala Linux capability.

See you soon after the thunder storm.

The seeder was from Sweden.
I have only Gamers Linus of 8.4 GiB to try and I will do that leisurely, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment