Sunday, January 23, 2022

Partitioning Tools

This is not an expose of all tools available but quick recipe for the newbies.

I have been using partition tools from the time of Windows 95.

I accidentally found a tool called Partition Magic which I had to install on Win-98 and resize FAT partition and install Redhat 8 dual booting with Windows.

I could never lay my hands on Redhat 7 series but managed to find 6, or 7 CDs of Debian 6.

There was no return to Windows and I was an avid advocate of Linux full-time.

Partition Magic was bought by an agency and it has changed it's name to Qparted and I never used it again or bought a paid copy.

I was hooked to Gparted and suffice to say, I did not find any problem with it, in 32 bit days.

It has a PAE and a 64 bit version of which I have multiple copies mounted on USBs, using MultiSystem CD.

Lately I have been using Disk utility of Debian which is very handy to mount 32 bit USBs and format them to FAT and reuse them as bootable Linux such as Ubuntu.

Then there is FDISK utility on command line which I used sparingly on early Caldera Linux book days, that came with 3 CDs.

There are no books on Linux nowadays but thanks to those pioneers who wrote books, if not for them, I would have never entered the Linux World.

It ended up, me writing few books on Linux as a precursor for the LINUX Freedom in a Capitalistic World.

I have Linux Bible and UNIX, the master book of Linux commands.

I have never used LateX but have a copy of it in one of my Linux versions.
It is the best Word Processor and can be used in command form.

Linux World is a never ending Stream.

There is also GNU partition tool.

So do not try to be a pundit in YouTube boasting about 10 Linux commands but try to learn Python 3.

You never finish Python in your entire life.

It is 70 years old and still ruling the Linux World.

But my favorite is ViM.


No comments:

Post a Comment