Monday, August 9, 2021

Basic Cellphone and Utility Value

I bought basic phone for utility value.

Number one me is for listening to the Radio and to get local news and number two for an emergency call when out and about.

Having experienced a stolen SIM from me, I do not want to take my expensive phone out.

If I lose it the headache is bigger than losing a SIM, even though I have configured it to be traced by Google in such an event.

Also typing password for Gmail entry is a pain and it needs to be remembered by Google on 24/7 basis.

This basic phone is from Samsung and is cute and not bulky.

First it's Radio was OK.
Sound quality was good and it detected all my downloaded music files.

There it ends my satisfaction.

It took two days to figure out how it works and set the time and date having read the instruction note twice in very small letters.

It was only interested in configuring the SIM.

I get carrier details and that's all.

I removed the battery at least five times to get to start mode and each time figured out what next to come.

I got the vendor to configure it and  I was not happy to give a call unless it works the way I wanted.

Altogether I had about 20 messages from the two carriers but I could not type a single SMS message.

I have to press this or that button to get simple, capital letters and numbers.

Finally I got the wall paper I wanted and switched it off for a break.

If I have to type a message in an emergency , it perhaps need one minute for each word.

I have not tried any contact numbers yet except my own cellphone which I am typing this post.

This is why I always say Radio is the best way to get the local news fast and not a new cellphone with carriers who cannot reach the far corners of this country or the location and the person in distress.

The government has not figured this out.

A scenario like tsunami and how to respond quickly is not figured out.

Leaving it to the individual carriers is not full proof remedy.

They are interested in money making.

During the Coronavirus epidemic getting the base stations working at full throttle was not achieved.

Leaving it to doctors, who are already hard pressed (to get the infrastructure activated) is no good.

Police may do a better job but army is shadowing them.

Having a cellphone as a safety net is not good enough, if the poor farmer does not know how to operate it (SIM response, emergency calls and reaching the nearest police station or hospital).

The guy I gave my android phone version 8 has not figured out how to use it after almost two years.

Majority including my classmates who were in public service do not understand the cellphone as a mini computer.

They feel shy to ask for help.

It is often the son or daughter who is using or operating the cellphone.

Mind you, I leaned a few tricks from my daughter but I have gone beyond that point of entry.

I think Android phone should be the basic but my GreenTel cellphone had more options and also had a version which received analogue TV stations.

I am told GreenTel has gone bust.

I had a GreenTel notebook too.

The GreenTel has the best phone and its Android version is 6 and Google has fiddled with the photo application and I cannot access the photos stored in the cellphone.

I have activated the Google App store for updates and Google is not responding.

I am not sure whether it is due to  GreenTel had gone bust or Google is interfering or both.

But I am pretty sure Google is interfering and does not let me see the stored up ( not in Google Drive, I rarely use) photos in the cellphone.

Now this was my second cellphone.

The first JaVa phone I gave free to a guy who depends on cellphone for work and he has gained my trust for a long time and when things were getting bad in schools were demanding cellphones with video conferencing I bought a new one for his daughter.

After 3 months of no work he has found some work.

The GreenTel was taken twice to Singapore  birds park.

The last visit to Singapore was to visit Bird's Park and those photos of birds Google is preventing the access.

I bought a cellphone in Singapore and it is called SeeKen and it had Android version 6 and it's touch screen has gone unresponsive  and is not responding.

Problem with liquid crystals underneath.

The  third GreenTel I gave it to a guy who has not used it for two years. This was the phone in which one of my SIMs of Hutch was stolen my a Muslim guy, a crafty manipulator.

Fourth was a Zigo (a Dubai sheikh's company) cellphone with touch screen and it had a pixel burn and white line vertically which was disposed, since I could not find a spare battery.

That is the second telephone company gone bust.

After long lay off I bought a couple of Nokia cellphones for my Internet work and they are the best for me

I have three of them and my workhorse is one of them.

If you want a robust cellphone buy a Nokia cellphone.

They are out of stock in Ceylon.

They have a rugged one coming soon and I have no commercial interest with Nokia.

Mind you, Nokia coming from Finland introduced the brick like phone in 1980s which did not fit in my overcoat and I preferred the hospital bleeper and telephone exchange for patient care.

I used to put the bleeper into the waste paper busker when  not on call and cleaners always put it back on the side desk religiously.

The bleeper sound mean a sick child has arrived.

I hate to see sick children often neglected by parents and compounded by GP negligence not responding quickly.

That was one reason me leaving UK.

GPs are powerful there and I did not go there to aid and abet GP's mistakes.

So you can understand why I hate cellphones.

Phones always bring bad news and I want pleasant or Somanassa Chitta at least in my retirement.

The land phone is out even after paying Rs.15,000/= well above the arrears and I hate MobiTel for life.

My first SIM was from MobiTel and I stuck it inside the Samsung phone.

I bought a Samsung basic cellphone sometime ago for good some and it was pretty bad with basic applications (I use) and is almost never used.

Only good think was the SD card with all the  Western songs I downloaded is recognized quickly by this cute little cellphone, I bought.

I said I bought it for listening to radio and music and it does a good job at pleasing volume control and not loud.

I had a GreenTel notebook and it's RAM was limited. It was very slow to my liking and gave away to a guy who did not know how to use it and his grandchild broke it.

This comment is coming from a guy who used all the available models from Kit Kat 4.3 to version 11.

I had a cheap tablet with version 4.3 (its battery is gone dead and I won't buy a new one) and a game console which could never download a game due to faulty keyboard that did not let me type my 18 long alphanumeric password.

It is a down to earth comment and I did not use exorbitant gadgets but what was available at the time when I needed the most (upgrading wise).

So going for Android 12 is a waste and I won't go to Singapore again except bypassing it on a long trip to Australia and have a quick visit to Greymouth and remote  ? Rastone (forget the name) looking for ladybirds with kids.

It will be well beyond 2023 and I hope airfare would have come down to manageable level by then.

I feel that cellphone should NOT be a gift to a child under 18 for very good reasons.

The cellphones used in video conferencing are expensive and one can buy two alternative cellphones with android 11 version with that money.

Be wise and mindful when you buy a cellphone.

I have to wait for another two years to see a Steam Deck with Linux Operating System.

What a wait?


No comments:

Post a Comment