Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Linux Desktops and Mint

I am not going to say anything about ARCH Linux.
The goal of ARCH except for Manjaro Linux is to make it difficult for the user from WiFi connection, to install script to configuration.
 
They do not have squarsh file as in Puppy Linux to boot it, in one go.
My advice for one who wants to experience Linux from the word go is to use Puppy Linux.
 
I use Puppy Linux, on the go when I travel abroad with a USB stick wrap round my neck.
This is what I did for over 20 years and I have not lost any interest in Linux.

Windows 95 was not in existence!

I tried to mount Endeavour Linux and Gnoppix (immutable) on Gnome Box utility and I could not.
 
These are the very guys who kill the interest in newbies.

By the way, try Putty, if you are on a Samba Network.

I get annoyed with YouTube guys, mostly the guys who had been using Microsoft Windows, all their life and has been using Linux Mint or Arch for over, less than a year, trying to teach, other gullible (new) guys.

One YouTube presentation teachers how to upgrade Linux Mint.
Another guy talks about backup and time-shift of Mint.

All these are unnecessary, if one understands Linux.

Linux does not upgrade it's base system.
Everything is built on top of this base and there is no upgrading of the base.

The base is rock solid.

One should not confuse this with kernel upgrades that are for OEM stuff and new hardware.

If you bought a new graphic card or something to that effect, one should ask the guy or girl selling the gadget, " Is there support for Linux or not".

1. When I bought the basic Intel NUC, the first question I asked  the guy was "Is this gadget supports Linux" and then I check the BIOS to see, it actually does.

2. Second I said was, I do not need Windows and I am not going to pay a grand sum for a lousy operating system.

3. Eventually I paid half the original price but spend some money on DDR4 RAM.
 
I did not want to pay a lot for DDR5.
 
I am not a gamer but play a few games on Linux.
2 years later, I bought another NUC for my son when the price had come down a lot.

4. I had enough hard disks left in my attic and I was not prepared to spent money on NVMe hard disks.

Gnome
Coming back to desktop, Gnome is mother or father of all the Desktops.
 
It is modern and feature rich.

Mint Cinnamon
Mint is built on top of Gnome base with lot of proprietary stuff on top of it. 
That is the heart of the problem.
If one changes the hardware, the Linux Mint cannot match up with the OEM stuff by default. 
That is where the problem lies whereas, Gnome without proprietary bloat tries to come up with a solution, in no time.

Actually Kernel guys do this for you.

That is why one should ask the question "Is there Linux support" before purchasing the stuff.

MATE
Mate is also built on top of Gnome.

So, if you are like me using Gnome as your base, there is no hassle.

Another guy rambles about idiosyncrasies of Linux.

Another guy trying to do some upgrade and has done several mistakes. 
This is only guy I said point blank do not blame Linux for your own mistakes.

So rambling goes on but Linux stay put!

I am doing all these to put the stuff for my upcoming book "Linux Essentials".

It is almost finished but I have to do some editing and remove duplicate entries.

YouTube is full of duplicate advice.

While doing this, I have installed 3 editions of Gnome on my NUC.
Last one is on and it has all the desktop in one place.
Even then, one can use only one desktop at a time.
I have devised my own way of adding different desktops (to see where I go wrong).
Finally decided to go with latest Gnome DVD one.
It does the job.
It is finishing now.
 
By the way, Legacy KDE and Plasma are entirely different desktops.
It marvels on neat windows and frames.
However, almost all the KDE applications can be mounted on top of the Gnome desktop without having bulky Plama desktop.
One application I like very much is Spectacle screen-shot application.

No comments:

Post a Comment