Friday, July 12, 2024

My View about ARCH Linux and its Derivatives

Honestly speaking, my advice for a newbie to Linux is for he or she to use Puppy Linux to begin with Never Try ARCH or it derivatives.

My View about ARCH Linux and its Derivatives has not changed at all.

This is the latest testing.

I forgot to mention anything about Arch Linux in my book of Linux essentials. 

Hence, I decided to check few of its derivatives.

Except for Majaro Linux, which is a pretty good distributions (except when installing additional applications) one should not try any other Arch derivatives.

I just mounted Arcolinux on a USB stick and tried  to have a simple user experience. Except for Gparted it had nothing, not even a simple browser. At least they could have used now dysfunctional Midori browser.

It configured the WiFi but what the use of Internet without a browser included in the distribution.

Image size is 2.7GB

I am going to try Storm Linux which is 3.5GB.

Storm Linux is pretty good.

It did configure WiFi.

It has Chromium browser.

It has VLC and Pulse Audio.

In that sense it is at least user friendly.

It has Note,  Htop and Vim but no office or AbiWord.

Its installer is Calamara.

It is Xfc based and themes are very dark for me.


Endeavor OS is on the USB.

Image size is 2.7GB.

I just tested it. 

Endeavor OS is pretty good and it is KDE based and has a pleasing desktop.

WiFi is smooth.

It has Firefox, which is my favorite browser.

It has Calamara installer, offline desktop is KDE but online installation lets one choose a different desktop.

Image size is 2.7GB

On the whole it is almost like Manjaro Linux.

It has Spectacle, the screenshot capture utility. 

On the whole Arch has come a long way and some developers are listening to the user comments.

Bluestar Linux when I tested it, last time, it had issues with WiFi connectivity but this time WiFi configuration was OK but I had to fiddle, a bit.

I thought Blustar Linux is going to come on top but I have some reservations.

Its image size is 4.6GB.

I have downloaded it direct from the SourceForge.

Linux tracker image is slightly older but almost the same.

This what it says about itself.

Bluestar Linux is an Arch Linux-based distribution, built with an understanding that people want and need a solid Operating System that provides a breadth of functionality and ease of use without sacrificing aesthetics. Bluestar is offered in three edtions - desktop, deskpro and developer - each tailored to address the needs of a variety of Linux users. Bluestar can be installed permanently as a robust and fully configurable operating system on a laptop or desktop system, or it can be run effectively as a live installer and supports the addition of persistent storage for those who choose not to perform a permanent installation.

A Bluestar Linux software repository is also maintained in order to provide additional tools and applications when needed or requested.

Most of the of the above, I could not accomplish on a live session.

Having taken the password for the WiFi it did not mount Firefox.

Since it was heavy, I tried to log out and log in.

That where the problem started. 

It asked for a password for the user.

I tried the usual.

live

root

user

without a password, press enter

I tells me I have tried, three times and it Froze.

I am not going to try it again, certainly not Install it.

The installer is Clamara.

My advice is once one gets the hand of Linux after using Puppy Linux on OpenBox, Xfc or similar desktop, GO STRAIFGT to Debian Linux.

I prefer Gnome but it has Cinnamon, Mate, and many more.

Try using Live DVD and there is DVD1 which gives all most all the Desktop varities one can choose at the time of installation.

This my last adventure and i am going back to finish my book Linux Esentials

It has lot of stuff. 

I usulay finish a book in a few days but this book took the longest time.



No comments:

Post a Comment