Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Gnoppix and Knoppix

Gnoppix and Knoppix

Knoppix was my start to Linux from its 3.4 Version.

Last release of Knoppix is in 2021 and it has everything and I do not see it needs any updating. 

1. It configures the hardware at boot time and test Audio at boot time.

2. It can be installed in a USB and in the hard disk.

3. It configures the Internet effortlessly.

4. Fourth thing I look is AbiWord which is actually a command line utility without hindering Macros. 

I use it for my book publishing.

 

Now coming to Gnoppix it cannot configure the Network including particularly now common use wireless WiFi. 

It looks for only Ethernet.

Without connectivity Live CD or Live USB is USELESS.

I won't try to Install it without connectivity.

Good Old Days only Ubuntu could do wireless configuration and even Debian could not.

Both Ubuntu and Debian are superb now with many of their flavours.

One cannot Install required applications (even the distribution has them in store) when basic requirement of connectivity is lacking.

By the way, my comments are constructive and having admin and root password even in a Live Session is vital and perhaps mandatory in current use.

I am going to test SystemLinuxOS12.2 (Debian based) and report soon.


Update of Gnoppix is bit better and until it has Wireless connectivity, I won't install and test it.

I am currently downloading its latest version and incidentally falls on my birthday.

What a coincidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment