Thursday, August 3, 2023

Remmina and Remote Desktop Computing

I am out of my country and a regular Linux User.

I brought my NUC with me which was an unnecessary addition to my luggage. Of course it is little bigger than a large cellphone.

I cannot carry the heavy PC with me and the answer is the VNC and Remmina.

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing.

One has to do a bit of work in command line.

I do not recommend graphic interface which  is vulnerable.

Other problem is one has to switch on the PC or the Laptop physically. If you is a business guy with a secretary at home it is no big deal.

For an old guy that is a handicap, unless one has an extended family.

Connection is vital but cell phone companies drain your money, if one is away from home.

That is the name of the game.

VNC do away with file uploading and downloading especially if one is only interested in looking at the photos on a business or holiday trip.

In my case I do not use Microsoft Windows and I have to get permission from the server guy or girl.

The added benefit is thay I can use Windows without paying a ransom to Microsoft.

Windows have lager market share and by  using VNC one can have the best of both worlds.

VNC is bit complicated with Mac due to their graphic intensity.

VNC is frugal and works on a light weight capacity.

If one day cell phone companies support VNC it is a bonus.

I doubt they will promote this  due to security and privacy concerns.

I stand to correction and Android cellphone can be used to connect to your PC.

But your PC should have an installed copy of the VNC Server.

VNC Viewer in your cellphone can then be configured.

Downside is one has to pay for the viewer and it is not a free software.


No comments:

Post a Comment