Friday, November 18, 2022

Linux Tracker Archive

 Linux Tracker Archive

I have to mention a few important points here.

I strongly discourage point to point download of Linux Iso images for good reason. If the link breaks down in a point to point download and a few files (one has to do a checksum) are broken in the chain, one is left with a corrupt Iso image. It won’t boot or install. 

This is where trying a Live CD or DVD is important for a newbie.

File corruption does not happen with Torrent Downloads.

All the long standing distributions, some of them which are dysfunctional today have contributed to Linux Tracker Archive, a Stable Torrent Image before they wound up the operations. So one can download and test them at leisure, even if they are inactive. I had the habit of downloading Linux images from Linux Tracker Archive for testing purposes. 

My idea was to build an archive of old the distributions I downloaded. I still have over 800 Isos (mostly 32 bit) in my collection gathering dust. When Linux Tracker came into existence, it took a big burden from my head.

For few years, I did not visit this site.

I was looking for Gparted and SparkyLinuxGameOver images to download and I ended up going back to their archive and found it is still doing a yeoman service, free of charge. 

By the way, this is different from www.distrowatch.com which highlights distributions according to page hits. So some of the distributions are not listed in www.distrowatch.com, whereas all the distributions posted in LinuxTracker site remain there for ever.

The latest images are posted in pages I, 2 and 3 and the older on 4,5, 6, 7 etc, with the date of the posting mentioned. Not only Linux but BSD images are also posted at this site.

The Redhat based CentOS community stopped developing the distribution abruptly, However, AlmaLinux community kept on following the tradition with a new brand name. Linux distributions going inactive is completely normal but there are enough derivatives that continue to expand from the point of the last release (of inaction).

No comments:

Post a Comment