Wednesday, December 12, 2012

CyLonLinux=Good Work

CyLonLinux 12.04-Good Work
It is with Christmas Spirit and with some elation I report that CyLonLinux, that I downloaded few minutes ago is pretty good effort.
It has desktop effect that originated from enlightenment  or ELive.
It id Ubuntu based with mix of Gnome and KDE utilities like K3B.
It has TOR which I liked very much and I used DuckDuckGo browser to reach the wider web.
It has Docky and both Firefox and Chrome Browser.
It also has GamBase II which is one of my recommendations for newbies.
All the above except the browsers (FireFox and Chrome) I love.
I prefer Debian's hassle free IceWeasle to other browsers.
It has latest blender 2.8 and all the utilities one uses on a daily basis.
It was heavy on my RAM (1 GiB) but ran well on both old IBM Netvista and Think Centre.
It did not have cloud utilities but that should not deter anybody using it.
I tried the SINHALA installation script but gave up since graphic interference was too much.
If one is installing it one should not go for a live session but straight go for installation in English to save the RAM.
It also used 60 to 70 % of the CPU in a live session with active browser. 

Well done boys and girls of the www.CylonLinuxWeebly.com.

I hope they will put out a have a light version with Abiword for computers older than my computer.

 My Comments at the web site

I download and test Linux distributions.
It is almost a hobby and post comments on parafox.
I have done it over many a times and wanted to call it a day.
Then I found CyLinux and downloaded it to see lot of Sri-Lankan seeds.
First I thought it was CeyLinux project and then when I went to their site I could not find any links.

Then quite by accident I found a link to your web site.

Your work is excellent and I was impressed by your inclusion of TOR and Gambase II.

I have a few, if you care to heed to them.

1. Keep it independent

2. Do not have any link with the Sr-Lankan Government.
Officials will infiltrate your development efforts and slowly kill it by their propaganda.
Case in point is Hanthana Linux in our schools. Its leading developer has already left it and I know him well enough, so no more comments about Hanthana Linux.

3. Get in touch with Anuradha Ratnaweera.
He was the one who got the Sinhala Unicode to Debian.
He is an expert and consultant to many original projects.

4. Ubuntu does not support our Unicode well and one has to work with Canonical to iron out the rough edges.

5. Ubuntu has made a decision not to support community with the development of the Unity Desktop.

6.Gnome is also going through lot of changes with its new desktop.

7. KDE is heavy and like Knoppix using LXDE is an advantage.

8. I do not use Ubuntu very much except for demonstrations (I do not like SUDO due to security reasons) but I like the SuperOS (KiwiOS is similar) very much which is an Ubuntu derivative.

9. UberStuendt which is also a Ubuntu derivative has lot of educational packages that you can use in CylonLinux.

10. I am not sure which way Linux will go with Cloud Computing is on the horizon and all the distributions with heavy footage will disappear giving way to sleek light weight browser based distributions.

11. You should explore the possibility of using Cloud utilities and have a light weight distribution ready in case there going to be sea of changes in the IT World.
Good Luck and god bless you.

CylonLinx=Good Work and that is how I have described you in my blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment