Tuesday, February 13, 2024

I am Installing ArcoLinux-SUPERB

I am Installing ArcoLinux which is excellent.

I am installing ArcoLinux.

I am not a fan of Arch Linux because of its minimalist approach (one application for one job approach).

It seems like ArcoLinux has broken that tradition.

It uses Calamara Installer and Arco Calaramara is flexible and gives the installer options to choose.

I do not know I have chosen the correct options but I like it giving me AbiWord and several Word Processes.

WiFi configuration is effortless and I am posting this while it is being installed.

I hope it won't mess up my EFI partition which was only 532MB and it wanted 2000MB which is a big waste of partition space.

I have 320GB in my Hard drive and it has three distributions already installed. 

Installation is slow and only 65% completed. 

Session user is liveuser and no password.

It has Gparted for partitioning. 

I use several desktops including light weight desktops and I hope like the BIG CD version of Debian 12.4.0, I can test all the desktop types at boot time.

Additional feature is one can toggle what is being installed at 5 second intervals. 

It is still at 71%. 

By the way, it let me select host of games which none of the Linux distributions fancy about.

So if its boots OK it is worth the waiting. 

ARcoLinux is astonishingly good.

Now I have more than 20 desktops to write about. I am writing a book about available desktops and I was under the impression it is about 20 but to my surprise there are over 40 desktop types and I will select only 25 that I have used during my 23 years of Linux, one for each year and 2 as my overall favourites.

At boot time one can select only one desktop.

Yes it installed alright but lot of fragmentation.

Only MATE and  Xfce worked and not KDE Plasma.

The integrated video card of my NUC could not manage KDE plasma 6.

This is the very reason I favour Light Weight Distributions.

I favoured light desktops and Xfce3 was my usual and Gnome has taken over the flavor out of Xfce4.

This is posted with Cutefish Desktop.

It does not give any office packages but gives a selection office packages to choose after installing the base. 

AbiWord implementation was faulty but after reinstalling it worked.

Thank YOU all girls and boys of ArcoLinux (Developer community).

I am installing it for the second time having shed the bulk of unnecessary application and selected 33GB (it needs 30GB for Large Install) partition for full install.

Besides, I can add or delete after installation.

It does not have Ubuntu Synaptic but bulk is installed Snapack.

It is over 70% install now.

Few things I missed.

It lets you install several browsers including Opera, Falcon and Vivaldi which I really value

Root partition needs nearly 20GB and I gave 33GB. Home and var partition can be left small if the hardware is not sufficient.

In my case, I have other distributions installed.

I had 3 chioces of mine and I could not decide on the fourth.

ArcoLinux takes that place and  Parrot Linux and Kali take fifth and sixth places and Linux Mint in between.

Now I can safely say in 35GB partition space Linux can fit in all the Linux applications one needs.

I do not think Mac and Microsoft take pride in that scenario and their selection is very limited.

This is what a community can do for its Own development.


Share Your Skills and extra time the final product is creditable.


STEPS for each package.

1. Key Ring

2. Checking Package Integrity

3. Package Files

4. Checking file conflicts

5. Checking disk space

6. Processing or configuring the package.

Arch does this process over and over again for each application.

That is why it takes a long time to install.

No need to check afterwards!

It runs live installation and good Internet connection is vital for smooth installation.

Most of these facts are common to all Linux distribution installation.

Debiin has its own way of installation but it worries about sable installation whereas ArcoLinux installs the latest if not the cutting edge. utililties.

No comments:

Post a Comment