Monday, November 20, 2023

Indians Outside of Cricket

Kenyans call Indians Black Jews.
It is nothing but true.
I agree with Kenyans.

I have never met an Indian in Ceylon but met a lot of them in UK.

Followings are factual events.

1. Indian Post Office Woman

Long time ago we had to take American Travellers Cheques as foreign exchange.

Government gave us only 50 dollars as allowance.

I took $35/= as travellers cheque and the rest as cash.

I finished $15/= in no time mostly for stamps to apply for various posts advertised in the BMJ.

I was in Hounslow near the Heathrow airport.

On a Saturday, I went to a nearby post office and filled the form for cashing the travellers cheque.

I mentally calculated the amount in pounds and I felt I was short roughly $5/= dollars.

I told her you cheated me 5 dollars and I am good in my mental arithmetic.

Furthermore, I am not an Indian and a Ceylonese.

Without a do I got the exact amount in pounds and pennies.

She never apologized!

2. On another occasion, I went to buy some spices and a few food items for my "primitive cooking episodes"  to an Indian boutique.

He did not give me a receipt.
I demanded a receipt.

When I checked the receipt I found items which I did not buy included in the receipt.

I had big argument with the guy and told him I will report you to the police.

He did give me the correct balance and the correct receipt.

I never went to an Indian shop in my entire stay in UK.

3. Our entire family went to India on a pilgrimage.

I declined saying Zimba our dog need somebody.

The reasons were already  mentioned above for me not going to India.

I hate Indians who cheat me.

4. One day I was stranded in Bombay Airport since I missed the connection to London.

I had stay overnight and there were Malaria Mosquitoes in the airport lounge. I cannot remember how many mosquitoes, I killed.

There was no air conditioning and it was pretty hot.

The meal receipt had to be encashed, since I was  hungry and almost half of the meal was placed in a bin nearby.

The Tea was horrible.

There are many more accounts but I would be brief.

I am sleepy after watching the Cricket Final.

Hearty "Congratulation to Australians" and the thrashing of Indians was pretty good.

Rest of the piece would come after 8 hours of sleep.

5. I was in charge of JICA project where doctors from Nepal, Bhutan and India were invited.

I said to J.I.C.A. I would only do the introduction and the rest should be done by Dental Guys.

As a part of the introduction I made a go round display of 25 slides and few mounted Museum specimens.

With the Indians around I was doubly cautious.

When they went for their lunch I did a survey and found a few things missing (where the Indian was placed).

In the next session, I said few items (did not name the items) were missing and unless they are replaced no more classes.

I left the laboratory and told my senior technician (he is no more) to recheck by the next session.

Items were returned and this Indian guy never came back but others did.

6. This piece should conclude with one simple comment.

I do not agree caste segregation of Indians and Tamils.

I stand up with Ambedkar and harijans!

My batched had a harijan from Jaffna.

He was discriminated and he gave up medicine.

I took him home in Kandy and helped him to get through the M.B.B.S.

He did join the government service and was killed by L.T.T.E in Batticolow few years later.

That is my personal grouse with the L.T.T.E.


No comments:

Post a Comment