Wednesday, August 17, 2011

CloudUSB and Cloud Support

Now I can report that CloudSUB gets exactly 1240 points what Ubuntu LTS got. 
In my scheme nobody gets 100 (I believe we have to approach the target of 80%) since when one delete a feature, in this case the distribution cannot be installed into hard disk and it misses on some points and it get more points for adding cloud support which Ubuntu has from its version 9.
This is where I defer from developers that base their activities on previously developed and established distribution which sometimes limit  or cramp up innovation by design.

Reason for suggesting start from the scratch below is based on that observation and premise!

Below is a user comment about CloudUSB distribution and I use the comment below of this particular user as base to give some of my views.

Mind you I have not tried it myself except booting the Live DVD.
I tried the UnetBootIn but could not open the Download Folder  in PCLinux in my hard disk where the CloudUSB image was downloaded. The distribution in my hard disk was PCLinux and it may have been different if I had Ubuntu in the hard disk. 
There was conflict of download folders of Ubuntu and PCLinux.
I have unity in my laptop and would try this again when I have time and report to you later.
However, read my writing on UnetBootin elsewhere in this blog site for further details.

"CloudUSB is a USB-based Linux distribution based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. 
The idea is that you can carry your own Linux distribution with you for use anywhere, thus allowing anyone to use Linux on any computer and keep their data safe in the event the USB key is lost. 

In practice, this is more limited than suggested by the Web site.

To use CloudUSB, you need to download a 950MB ISO image and a script to copy the image to your USB key. 

The script makes use of UNetbootin to copy the image to the USB key and set it up correctly. 

It takes about 10 minutes to copy CloudUSB over and get it ready. You'll need at least a 4GB key to use it effectively, and larger is better if you have a significant amount of data. I (not me) used an 8GB Seagate "puck" USB drive. The configuration routine allows you to decide how much room to allocate for data, so I split it evenly between 4GB for the OS and 4GB for personal data".

My comments about CloudUSB.
1. This idea of integrating with cloud service is excellent but implementation has some glitches.
2. It is not a service but it is a cloud client (same terminology as in Torrent downloads and there are many clients for Torrents but Torrent is the best Linux service available for third world).
3. It is tied to Ubuntu and it can very well use the Ubuntu One Service which is 5GIB. Mind you simply because of this I have switched off my lack of allegiance to Ubunutu and I now have Unity in my laptop and not Ubuntu 10.10 L.T.S.
I use a USB hard disk and not a USB stick and my favorite is now Ping Eee.
Thin SATA laptop hard disk can sit in your front pocket and one can buy one for three GiB Flash Drives' price.

4. Next point is relevant because of Ubuntu switching to Unity desktop, the CloudUSB will have some teething problems.

5. My biggest critical comment is that it is not a thin client but a very very fat client. It needs to shed its dead weight of Ubuntu  and "start from the scratch and be distribution indepwndent".

6.Its integration with Dropbox is scratchy and Dropbox gives only 2GiB free and its policy re-evaluation has caused some bad taste in the mouth.

7. It should take a cue from Peppermint (it is supporting Google plugins) as far as the general users are concerned but must give a serious thought to the developers and Linux administrators (they will love to carry it in the pocket when on service duty away from home, may be in a foreign country).

8. Adding UnetBootin, WireShars, Emac and Skype (? now Microsoft's) are good money but adding more dead weight to already chunky Linux chocolates.
Cloud is going to rule and we have to re-engineer everything and sometime from scratch.

My vision.
1. Make it very very thin client. It should be for Administrators and Developers  level at this level. In the line of Puppy Linux and under 200 MiB. I am surprised Puppy does not have a cloud client.
Do they?
It should have gparted  copy image and the like. When it is is light the problems that you have encountered with Ubuntu LTS won't arise. Go for Dilo or SeaMonkey instead of Firefox which is getting bloated and unmanageable.

2. Then a Middle Weight client in the range of 500 for users.
this is the Peppermint style!

3. Then the Business Class with a full blown heavy weight distribution and Dropbox, Skype, Web Editor, Emac, Wireshark and all security and encrypting utilities added.
I suppose with Ubuntu going in many direction base ought to be Debian.
I suppose one should start with redobackup by Debain.
It may be a good base to begin with and in notime it will be bloated to Business Class with developers helping.
Mind you one does not have to abandon CloudSUB but add the ones I have mentioned to the repertoire as additional CDs/DVDs.
I am in the process of realigning myself to think what is the minimum I should carry in  a CD or Flash Drive (may be even to my grave and the coffin may not be that heavy to carry then with all the unnecessary paraphernalia she in advance).

Come up boys and girls do some exercise to she weight around the belly or belly button.

No comments:

Post a Comment