Friday, November 3, 2023

Helicopter Ride

Helicopter Ride was a dream of my life.

This was all about applied physis.

How it ascends, how it turns and how it remains stationary and how it descends  were my interests not flying per say.

It consumes lot of energy even to stay afloat.

Since we cannot see air currents, unlike the water currents around a boat one has to feel it by being inside the helicopter.

I went to an Engineering Exhibition in a Ceylon university, expecting them to show me real flow dynamics and I was disappointed.

I, only saw an old dysfunctional helicopter on the grass on its pads.

Going some years back in New Zealand, with my family we went to a helicopter airshow and booked a ticket in advance.

We were waiting for sometime and we were told that we could not fly due to poor visibility.

Disappointed, I drew the car to the top of the mountain as far as I could go until I saw snow on the road.

Got down from the car and had a few photos and waited until I could not see anything in front of me.

I knew we will be blinded in no time and descended carefully to a lower level until I could drive safely.

I did not have chains behind my car to avoid slippery ice.
I checked and double checked every component if the second hand car I bought in New Zealand.

If I remember right, I spent more money than the purchased price, on the Honda for all the repair work.

It was in perfect condition when I retuned it back to the seller.

The cost of exporting items were prohibitive and I instead, sent only my books (not available in Ceylon) and magazines home.

We retuned home safely, and I decided never to ride a helicopter.

Months later we went to see, sea lions on a cloudy day.

I took the baby walker beyond an emergency point and could not see anything due to mist.

Mist was a blessing and being a mountaineer from Ampitiya in the hill capital, negotiated the slippery slope without a tight code in hand.

It was a very STUPID IDEA crossing the warning sign!

I was much wiser after the incident.


No comments:

Post a Comment