Friday, July 21, 2017

Bird's Park in Singapore

Bird's Park in Singapore
This was a comment I made in reply to a email from one of my friends abroad.
The story was accompanied (not related to the topic though) by photos of various birds.
I was more interested (there is a chapter on Ceylonese birds; my current book) on the birds (not the flightless birds) than the message.
I was looking for a house sparrow but sadly was not there in the pictures.
Last time I went to Singapore to investigate why house sparrows have vanished in Ceylon.
I went to the Singapore National Library spend over half a day reading the only book on House sparrows and photocopied few pages.
Recently I went to Singapore for a brief visit and the day before my return I went to the Bird's Park.
Sadly I was the only one in the bus onwards and return.
I met a German Family (only other visitors) with kids and followed their footsteps since, it was easy for me to avoid food stalls.
They were very sharp, I wish I could have spoken German.
I paid a big some and applied for a lifetime membership BUT they did not issue a membership card (clever ploy).
I have to go there within a year to collect the membership with all the benefits and the news letters.
Singaporeans love birds whereas we import catapults from China to kill them.
I had the pleasure of feeding over 20 pigeons on a rainy day (reminded me feeding pigeons at Trafalgar Square in London High Street ) in a crowded eating house.
Pigeons, Mynas and House Sparrows were plenty in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment