Friday, November 24, 2023

Cake and the Crow or Kaputa Saha Keju Kella

This piece is about my Singapore Sojourns.

I was working at Negambo and on Friday night I go to Singapore and come back on, a week Monday morning for morning work.

I was working at Sath Samudura (father) creator's Dispensary as a hired hand.

It was running at a loss and his son who was a Lecturer  in Physiology (MRCP U.K.) in Colombo, University did not know how to manage the place with a big nursing staff.

I took up the challenge with an understanding that he should fire any staff member who does not fit in with the system.

I came home on Friday evening having named two

1. Matron

2. A Labourer who was sleeping on the Operating Table of the small OP Theater.

VOG
I noticed all post op cases had a nasty wound operation and V.O.G. was the culprit.

I had a little tussle with him and told him if he is arrogant to any of my staff, I would blacklist him and he cannot come after that.

I made the same threat at a Colombo Private Hospital to blacklist consultants who were arrogant and late in their appointments.

I did reverse ventilate the OP Theater and bugs were removed and no more infections  during my time, there.

Within 3 months we broke even and by the time I left to Zew Zealand it was running smoothly and profitable with full bed capacity.

I was studying for NZREX Examination of New Zealand which was held in Singapore while working, there..

I managed to diagnose a case of Histoplasmosis, which was passed as leukaemia by several consultants.

It is called bird fanciers diseases and pet shops and aquarium are common there.

I had over 40 pet fish tanks at home and was trying to breed zebras and pearl gouramis.

I was the only one out of 25 candidates from Ceylon who passed Stage I and II of the 4 part examination.

Part III and IV were held in NZ.

I hated New Zealand and came back after 2 years.

Read the piece here on New Zealand.

In Singapore, I used to stay at a particular cottage hotel off Sarangoon Road.

It was cheap and was run by an Indian Indian (Not Singaporean Indian).

Bed bugs, cockroaches and houseflies were worse than in Ceylon.

I cannot believe, Singapore has come up so quickly and my last stay there in a different hotel was very expensive and I came back home after 5 days.

Mind you,  rebooking is expensive on Singapore Airline and you could guess how much I saved by coming home early.

Coming back to Singapore and Kaputa Saha Keju Kella, I visited an Indian lady in Singapore on her invitation for a dinner.

One of my young relatives was staying with her and I made it a point to see him every time, I go there.

He knew better places in Woodlands for cheaper shopping.

I only knew Musthapa and Sarangoon road.

Orchard road was like London Reagent Street and bookshops were my only attraction, there.

This lady put a garden party for us.

On that very same day, she coined a nick name for me.

Kaputa was that nickname!

That's the only Sinhala word she picked from me.

I may have said, "I eat like a Kaputa" (her food was nice and spicy with lot of chillies) and I did not pick the hot stuff.

She had some land in Malaysia and promised to take us there and I could not  make it, since my work in New Zealand was heavy.

My other nickname was Singapore Charlie.

That came after a bizarre incident.

My postgraduate roommate who was a distinguished professor met me in Singapore, one day.

He was staying at an expensive hotel and was paying the hotel bill from his meager allowance.

I told him, he could join me and save some money (besides he should learn few tricks and save some money for a bottle of good spirits).

Of course we had a bit of a gossipy chat.

He was coming home on the same flight and university vehicle was waiting for him for the return journey.

I could join a free ride.

The understanding was if he gets drunk I would drop him at home, and if I get drunk he should drop me at home.

So we consumed a lot and onboard alcohol was free those days, unlike now.

We were almost dead drunk and when we were about to land in Colombo, an Italian guy who could not read English asked me to fill the disembarkation slip.

I said OK but my fee is Free Alcohol he gets onboard.

So we had a Top Up.

The name Singapore Charley was bestowed on me, on one mistake, I made in my entire married life.

My wife and daughter were waiting to pick me home.

I instead I jumped the University Van.

Half way through, when we were having hoppers at a joint (hoppers are my favourites) I realized the mistake (no cellphones then) and I had to prepare for a "Big Onslaught" of my life.

Came home and told my mother in law, my impending plight, the next day.

Of course my wife had checked the manifest at the airport and verified  my landing and went to Negambo Private hospital with my daughter to sleep.

I did go to sleep knowing very well, I may not be able sleep for two nights.

Yes, the onslaught went on for two days and I did not utter a single word.

My luggage was full of presents and we never had a fight after that.

Lessons learnt!

1. No drinks on flight.

2. Teetotaler now. 

3. Never forget wish list and presents.

4. Kaputa changed to Singapore Charlie.

5. Never plan short holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment