Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Doctors and their Bankers

Doctors and their Bankers
When I was writing going bananas, it hit upon me that there are two categories of (excluding psychiatrists who have the highest incidence of suicide and the pathologists and radiologists who have the lowest incidence of depression) professionals who are prone to depression and alcohol. 

Going by my Professor of Psychiatry (and my failing memory) one category was Bankers.

I must deal with the Bankers of our nation first because it gave me blues for the first time in Colombo. 

I was short listed for an interview for the doctor in attendance for the Central Bank. 
Going by the requirements, which I fulfilled adequately I was little surprised (without the retirement of the incumbent) why they had an interview? 
This was in my mind and I decided to raise this issue because the same fate will fall on me. if I decide to join these (yappies) guys.

What depressed me most was that we were asked to come at 11.00 am and were kept there till 3.00 pm. 

Many hours, I spent there kept me reminding that if the Central Bank cannot keep time that it is the last place I should be working. 
However, I decided to wait and did a survey of the last few arrivals (candidates) and realized this is a fake interview and the requirement has been adjusted, to fit a politico's relative.

So I geared up, the ordeal is going to be for the interviewers and certainly not me.

I want privy to what the issues I raised and most of the interviewers were red in their face by the time I finished raising enough queries but politely left the Central Bank without waiting for an outcome.

Few days later Central Bank was blasted and I would have been among the dead (had I been selected) and I gathered the doctor who was to be replaced was injured and had to be reinstated by the C.B.

That was a close call even when I see the Central Bank now, I get blues.
My final analysis the bankers and the doctor (I have all the sympathy) treating them were all but depressed. 

That is the point I need to drive at. Had I joined them in spite of the remuneration I would be depressed by now.

Money does not bring happiness that is what is emerging in the West.

The White Coat Blues, the so called Mood Indigo is prevalent in America and 25% of the first and second year students and majority of the seniors specially when doing clinical work suffer from some form of depression. 

No wonder many of them (read my article on Alcohol the Miracle Cure) consume excess alcohol too. What is worrying is that they deny that they have a problem (depressive or alcohol) and do not get proper advice and treatment. 

If the doctors going to be are not healthy how it is going to improve the standard of health is an open question?

I do not wish to stir a hornet's nest and leave at that with an open ended question but this writing is not over, if I do not project my cyclopic view of all things both normal and abnormal.

The doctors get depressed seeing innocent people sufferings and they go and have a drink and very liberal at that too. They were well trained in their student days. Good liquor is expensive nowadays and they need to do extra hours off duty consultation for pocket full of roses and they get home more depressed than before and go to sleep with a bottle in hand to douche the sorrows. 

This is a vicious cycle and the money earned in this endeavour goes rocket high and they need the banker to help. 
When the money is deposited in the bank the bankers keep on counting them to get the correct commissions and the commissions is always very low compared to the capital in the bank. 
In turn the Bankers get depressed and another vicious cycle ensues.

So do not get the idea of becoming a psychiatrist lest the highest incidence of suicide is among them.

So going bananas is no big deal if one has lot of money.

My vision is always zero growth and not to have any money.

Even then I get depressed so what to do?

This reminds me that there was a MP in the up country who was nick named "What to do MP".

What to do is your business, not mine!

5th May 2006


No comments:

Post a Comment