Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Debian 8.2


Mind You Debian 9.8.0 is out NOW but I am still happy with 8.2.

Debian 8.2


The Hard Drive of my old computer is about to pack up.

I just managed to finish my latest book and nothing else to do and happy that I finished my work before the impending catastrophe, decided to copy some of the work and Linux distributions to an old USB hard drive.

I booted it but could not remember the ROOT password.

I could remember the user password but it won't let me copy.

Then, I booted another USB hard drive which run a Live Session and transferred all the images.

I was not happy to transfer my work and went for a Debian Solution.

I booted up the Debian 8.2 Install DVD (I of 3 DVDs) and Installed the latest Debian.

It took one hour, simply because I installed all Desktops from Gnome, KDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon and LXDE.

That is the high point.

I have six desktops Now, not one.

Secondly, I installed the GRUB in the USB hard drive.

So if my hard drive packs up, I can still try running other distributions I have in my old computer.

So if the GRUB in my SATA fails, NOW I can run with the GRUB from the USB.

I was lucky Debian could not configure my Network at installation since that would have taken another two hours with a SLOW Sri-Lankan Internet connection.

Now I am posting this from Debian and at run time Debian configured my network automatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment