Wednesday, March 15, 2017

SAITM, FUTA, GREED (Money) and Empathy (better still Metta)


SAITM, FUTA, GREED (Money) and Empathy (better still Metta)
Dr. Neville Fernando is a man with Obsession in Money (It does not matter how it comes).
He is probably from Colombo Medical School (note it was a school run by rich doctors of yesteryear) student (probably not a proper university graduate).
He did not pay for his studies, I believe but perhaps his parents did.
 
Doctors also can become dictators!
 
He does not understand the value of free education.

The first proper University Medical Faculty was established in Peradeniya and Professor Senaka Bible who was instrumental (he inculcated on us fair play, dignity of patients and service to the poor).

I want you to compare Neville with the Professor on empathy not money.

As regard to me I served the compulsory service and bit more and I was very much against it.

I wanted to go abroad soon after internship for proper training in UK.

I was among the only few who said that "I will come back and serve the country" and I did it.

I decided to go abroad second time, in the height of second JVP insurrection (my name was in the JVP hit list).

I was working for an international organization and I did all I could do to save their lives and safely back to home soils. That was the reason for putting me on the hit list even though, there were no Indians in our organization.

I was in the Action Committee (Ousting NM. Sirima was an off shoot) of GMOA and the first concession we got from JRJ was cancelling the compulsory service (NO PRIVATE PRACTICE WHILE, my AMP and RMP had lucrative private practice but I never interfered with them. One was a Tamil and the other was a Muslim).

When I give lectures to undergraduates, I used to say that was the stupidest thing I did and I (We) could not fathom how crafty JRJ was.
My bone of contention is these guys (like me when young BUT I was sure in my mind that I will come back and serve) after passing out invariably GO ABROAD.

Money wasted (we are very poor country) and never reimbursed.

My second return was at the height of LTTE onslaught and I told my friends (mostly Sinhala) this is the time the country needs you. 

None of them came back.

As regards to Tamil doctors, they leaving this country is justifiable, since when they are treated like Aliens in their country of birth, they had only a few options.
 
Few of them have come back after the recent change of ground situation and they make sure they contact me sometime after their arrival.

They find it extremely difficult to settle (sacrifice privileges earned abroad) down here.
 
Mind you the government does not pay a pension or W and OP (I am eligible for the service rendered) to me.
 
I live on my saving and NO PRIVATE PRACTICE.

I am bit like my teacher Dr. Kinsely Heendeniya.
If all the doctors can be like K.H.; simple, humble and caring, the world would be a better place.

No two doctors are alike when they are bound by GREED!

Mind you my children tell me the stupidest thing I did was coming back from New Zealand (last post).
I use to tell them I am scarred of earth quakes and they believe me.
A foot note to the quality of doctors after passing out is relevant here. One of my medical teachers and a friend lately (304 card partner, not bridge) send his two sons to the private medical school. He spent all his money for their education including selling his property (ancestral). He build a house in an aweful place with very difficult access by vehicle (I used to walk this distance - including the day of his funeral).
He was physically handicapped and emotionally unstable toward latter stages.
Simply because the two doctors he produced neither did any care for him nor did come to the funeral.

There were two students at his funeral one was me the other was a younger colleague mate of mine. 
I know no student of mine be at my funeral, just the same.  I am wondering what I would write in my last will.
Burn all my medical books (not Dhamma) since no future doctor would pratice what was intended in them.
Dhamma books probably will end up at BPS reference library.

I wonder what Carlo Fonseka has to say about the doctors registered under his organization?

Reproduction
I agree with most of his ideas.

Sivamohan Sumathy is attached to the Department of English, University of Peradeniya
Free Education and Free Health
We may need more doctors, but it is probably the case that we are not retaining enough doctors and, more significantly, that we are not able to retain a sufficient enough doctors in the peripheries, where the need is greater. Murali Vallipuram in his article in Colombo Telegraph "Is There A Case For A Private Medical School In The Health Planning Of Sri Lanka?’ () comments on this lack ably. Before one can go on, one has to recognize that no private university will be able to fulfill the need for doctors in this country and state universities will continue to produce them. In this regard, I want to get back to history once more. In the ‘70s, there were restrictions placed on the mobility of doctors for the first five years of their careers post-internship. The measure was rife with problems, and perhaps the five year period was too harsh (just perhaps), but one has to ask the question, isn’t the doctor on whom the state expends millions of rupees obliged to make some return?
From 2011- 2012, the Federation of University Teachers’ Associations (FUTA) engaged in an island wide public awareness campaign, staging a dramatic appeal for increased spending on primary, secondary and higher education. While the government in its budget for 2016 had indeed raised its allocation for education, particularly for school education, much of the expenditure did not materialize in the end. The budget for 2017 saw a decline in its support for education.
In 2015, the democracy movement brought an end to the violent and dictatorial regime headed by Mahinda Rajapaksa. We have to stand firm on that platform of democracy today. Though members of FUTA maybe divided on the question of SAITM itself, FUTA as a body will remain committed to protecting free education. There may not be ideological cohesiveness in the opposition and resistance to the establishment of privatized universities, but that need not deter us from formulating a coherent response to the government, demanding that it made a firm commitment to free education and, more importantly, to protecting state education.
NCMC was taken over by the state; we may have to see this happen yet again with SAITM.
Sivamohan Sumathy is attached to the Department of English, University of Peradeniya




No comments:

Post a Comment